Friday, September 7, 2007

High School Girls Small Group

I have taken over the high school girls small group with our Wednesday night program. At first I volunteered for it because I felt God leading me to it. I didn't want to but I felt a peace about it as soon as I submitted. Wednesday night came and I was not really nervous but I didn't have a good attitude. I prayed that God would sooth my mind and spirit and guide me through this evening. As the girls came in and sat on the various couches I felt led to have everyone to sit on the floor. This wasn't something major but I felt that since the topic was servanthood and humility it would help to foster this if we were all on the same level and were able to see each other and hear each other easily. Things started off awkward. No one really knew each other or really cared to get to know each other. By the end of the night these girls had dug deeply into the topic and really applied the topic to the different areas of their life. By the end I felt like I had learned from them more than they had learned from me. How amazing God is to take such a frightening situation and turn it into a learning experience. I have realized that it was very arrogant of me to feel that I could bestow any wisdom on these girls. God was in charge all along and I praise Him for that! I am looking forward to next week and getting to know these girls a little more and to find out a little more about God and hopefully get to tell Him a little more about me. This is one thing that I have challenged myself to doing. My cousin pointed out to me that even though God already knows us, He wants us to tell Him about ourselves and in so doing, we learn more about Him. I am excited to see what more I find out about myself and the Lord as the days go on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I was excited to hear form Jeff that you were leading the small group on Wednesday. I believe you have so much insight to ofer these young ladies. I am not surprised that God blessed you that night. It amazes me how God can bring such peace to our hearts when we finally submit to His will. I felt the same way you felt concerning my pre-teen small group. But in the end I knew I was right where I needed to be. Thanks for your thought of me. I think of you often too, you have a special place in my heart always! me

Bananya said...

I'm some random stranger that googled leading high school small groups and I read your blog and it was so encouraging to me. I was asked to lead a group of high school girls and as exciting as it sounds I'm very nervous! Hearing about how God blessed your obedience made me really excited! Thanks!